To the complaints committee
Egyptian Doctors’ syndicate
Kasr Al Aini Street
Dar El Hekma
The Association for Freedom of Thought and Expression (AFTE), an Egyptian institution working on human rights since 2006, wishes to submit to you a number of medical reports of journalist Mahmoud Abu Zeid (Shawkan) indicating that he is suffering from Thalassemia, which needs a medical care, he was not able to receive because he has been in precautionary detention since 4 years pending case 15899/2013 Madinet Nasr I criminal cases. The prison administration has been denying him the necessary medical care. It is therefore, that AFTE calls upon you to urgently intervene and undertake the necessary measures to maintain the health and safety of journalist Shawkan, whose health is deteriorating within the bad prison conditions.
• Name: Mahmoud Abdel Shakour Abu Zeid (Shawkan)
• Occupation: Photojournalist
• Place of work: Demotex press agency
• Date of arrest: 14 August 2013
• Date of referral to criminal court: 11 August 2015
• Legal status: On trial and in Precautionary detention by order of the criminal court.
• Place of detention: Tora prison complex – Tora investigation prison
• Case number: 15899/2013 Madinet Nasr I criminal cases
Attached please find his medical reports